Objective AlpES project
Ecosystems and their services go beyond national borders and need a transnational approach for their dynamic protection, sustainable use, management and risk prevention. As a basis for joint action, public authorities, policy makers, NGOs, researchers and economic actors – the AlpES target groups – need a common understanding of ecosystem services, comparable information on their status and support in using appropriate tools for integrating them in their fields of work. The AlpES project’s overall objective is to introduce ecosystem services as a regional/transnational environmental governance framework.
Aims and activities
Different key actors from the Alpine Space will be involved in the project development. In close collaboration with stakeholders, AlpES:
- develops an Alpine ecosystem services concept,
- carries out a mapping and assessment of ecosystem services for the Alpine Space area and test regions,
- makes the results available on the internet to the stakeholders for analytical purposes,
- and ensures a multi-level and cross-sectoral transfer of AlpES results to the stakeholders via innovative, tailored and transferable learning tools and targeted activities.
In order to accomplish these goals, AlpES develops an interactive, internet based Geographic Information System (WebGIS), integrates the already existing Wiki WIKIAlps into the project, and organizes workshops.
* “This project is co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund through the Interreg Alpine Space programme”.