including AlpES Project Terms
- Abiotic Processes AlpES Project Term
- Abiotic Services AlpES Project Term
- Accessibility refers to the ease of reaching destinations. In addition to physical accessibility through transport infrastructure, connectivity through advanced telecommunication systems contributes to improving the intangible accessibility of areas.
- Alpine Ecosystem Service AlpES Project Term
- Assessment AlpES Project Term
- Beneficiaries AlpES Project Term
- Benefits AlpES Project Term
- Biodiversity AlpES Project Term
- Biodiversity or biological diversity means the variability among living organisms from all sources including, inter alia, terrestrial, marine and other aquatic ecosystems and the ecological complexes of which they are part; this includes diversity within species, between species and of ecosystems.
- Biomass AlpES Project Term
- Biophysical Structure AlpES Project Term
- Capability of Ecosystem AlpES Project Term
- Capacity Building Model AlpES Project Term
- Capacity of Ecosystems AlpES Project Term
- Capital AlpES Project Term
- Carbon (CO2) Sequestration AlpES Project Term
- Carbon Sequestration is the process of capturing atmospheric carbon and, most importantly, storing it for the long term.
- Climate Change refers to any change in climate over time, whether due to natural variability or as a result of human activity.
- Cultural Landscape embraces a diversity of manifestations of the interaction between humankind and its natural environment.
- Cultural Ecosystem Service AlpES Project Term
- Demand for Ecosystem Services AlpES Project Term
- Demographic Change describes a population’s age structure adjusting to changes in living conditions and social shifts.
- Disservices AlpES Project Term
- Drinking water AlpES Project Term
- Economic Valuation of Ecosystem Services AlpES Project Term
- Ecosystem AlpES Project Term
- Ecosystem is “a dynamic complex of plant, animal, and microorganism communities and the non-living environment interacting as a functional unit” (Millennium Assessment, 2005, v).
- Ecosystem Assessment AlpES Project Term
- Ecosystem Function AlpES Project Term
- Ecosystem Mapping AlpES Project Term
- Ecosystem Process AlpES Project Term
- Ecosystem Services (ES) AlpES Project Term
- Ecosystem Services are the benefits that people obtain from ecosystems (Millenium Ecosystem Assessment 2005).
- Ecosystem Service Classification System AlpES Project Term
- Ecosystem Service Mapping AlpES Project Term
- Environmental Governance refers to “the means by which society determines and acts on goals and priorities related to the management of natural resources (IUCN).
- Final Ecosystem Services AlpES Project Term
- Flow of Ecosystem Services AlpES Project Term
- Formal Instruments AlpES Project Term
- Goods AlpES Project Term
- Governance AlpES Project Term
- Governance refers to the steering and regulatory framework of a society.
- Human capital AlpES Project Term
- Human well-being AlpES Project Term
- Indicator is an observable value that is representative of a specific phenomenon of concern.
- Informal instruments AlpES Project Term
- Intermediate ES AlpES Project Term
- Landscape Management refers to the measures aiming at preserving landscape or controlling its transformations caused by anthropic activities or natural events.
- Manufactured capital AlpES Project Term
- Mapping AlpES Project Term
- Mountain Area can be defined using the UNEP–WCMC global delineation criteria.
- Natural Capital AlpES Project Term
- Natural Heritage can be divided in natural features, geological and physiographical formations, and natural sites, which are of outstanding universal value from the aesthetic, conservationist or scientific point of view.
- Natural Resource Management is the sustainable management of a feature or component of the natural environment.
- Payments for ecosystem services (PES) AlpES Project Term
- Political Ecology studies human-environment interactions. It aims to examine how political, economic and social factors are linked to environmental problems,changes, and conflicts by exploring power structures.
- Protected Area is a “clearly defined geographical space, recognised, dedicated and managed, through legal or other effective means, to achieve the long-term conservation of nature with associated ecosystem services and cultural values” (IUCN)
- Pollution is the introduction of substances or energy into the environment, resulting in deleterious effects of such a nature as to endanger human health, harm living resources and ecosystems, and impair or interfere with amenities and other legitimate uses of the environment.
- Regional environmental governance AlpES Project Term
- Regulating ES AlpES Project Term
- Remote Sensing is the technique of acquiring information about an object without actually being in contact with it (Jorgensen & Fath, 2008).
- Renewable Energies are defined as renewable non-fossil sources: wind, solar, geothermal, wave, tidal, hydropower, biomass, landfill gas, sewage treatment plant gas and biogases.
- Rural Development is a specific aspect of territorial development.
- Service Benefitting Area (SBA) AlpES Project Term
- Service Connecting Area (SCA) AlpES Project Term
- Service Providing Area (SPA) AlpES Project Term
- Stakeholders AlpES Project Term
- Status of ES supply AlpES Project Term
- Stock of ES AlpES Project Term
- Supporting ES AlpES Project Term
- Surface Water Filtration refers to the filtering of pollutants, excess nutrients, and organic matter.
- Surface Water for Drinking is the availability, demand and actual consumption of clean (surface) water for domestic use.
- Synergies of ES AlpES Project Term
- Technical Capital AlpES Project Term
- Territorial Development is understood as the process through which the geography of territories inhabited by human societies is progressively transformed.
- Tier approach AlpES Project Term
- Trade-offs of ES AlpES Project Term
- Urban/Peri-Urban Development refers to urbanization with its different dimensions and perceptions and to non-urban population increase and sprawl of urbanized land that takes place beyond the city's or agglomeration's physical limits.
- Urban-Rural Partnership relates to the cooperation between cities/towns and their surroundings.
- Water Management refers to preventive measures for the reduction of waste water, over-utilisation and pollution of water resource.
- Web 2.0 tools are web-based applications that allow users to actively generate content and interact with other users.
wiki/glossary.txt · Last modified: 2019/12/05 10:53 by apolderman